Vega 2600 AC or DC

dwacker

Hi Don,

I went on the Vega website and did some poking around. I think if it was me ordering that lathe, it would be the 220 model, with the inverter. The inverters converts the AC power to DC. And also get the 2 HP model. I believe by converting the AC to DC you get superior torque at low speeds, which if you are tending towards turning larger work, will be greatly beneficial. This is also desirable if you are planning on doing any coring.

I am curious as to why you have chosen the Vega lathe. Its a fantastic machine, but you will not be able to do much if any spindle work with it. It does have a fairly small footprint, so will be much easier to fit into a tight shop.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts as you get closer to making a decision.

Roger

I am curious as to why you have chosen the Vega lathe. Its a fantastic machine, but you will not be able to do much if any spindle work with it. It does have a fairly small footprint, so will be much easier to fit into a tight shop.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts as you get closer to making a decision.

Roger

The Vega is just a compromise of size and price. I told my grandson I would get another lathe after we set up the offsite finishing shop. Honestly he would have been happy with a little 12" jet. He can turn his pens and do dadads and I can turn bowls. Really just an affordable toy that wont take up to much space.

Thanks for the motor info.

Don