A few dust collection upgrades

Freddie

I haven't had my Grizzly wall mount dust collector hooked up for a few months, and it was finally starting to annoy me. My shop is in pieces right now, and the laziness gets the best of me sometimes, so I left it unhooked. Not wanting to invest in a large cyclone right now for the sake of saving money, I went with a more mobile route, and ordered dust right accessories to help make it easier to hook my one line into each machine as I need it. Before, I had the hose clamp set up which meant I never utilized dc for all my machine operations; again, laziness. I got the 21' expandable hose, quick fit on the hose and the adapters for all my machines with 4" ports. I ordered 3 dust right elbows, but they are backordered until the end of the month so I am getting away with the standard fittings for now, seeing that I ordered 2 extra, whoops. Tomorrow, I have an extension with bracket coming, so when I build my ts out feed table, I am going to extend the dust port under the table and out the left side to make my hook up easier. For the bandsaw, I think I will reverse the set up I put on so it goes out the left side instead. This is what I ended up with for the first run, I am eager to see if it actually catches and dust, Ive never set up dc on the bandsaw yet. It probably won't do a whole hell of a lot. I hooked up my jointer, turned it on, and it was clearing chips for over 5 minutes, it was jammed up with chips all the way up to the cutter head. I also replaced the bag with a dust right 5 micron bag. The grizzly comes with a 30 micron, and doesn't offer an upgrade as an accessory, so I sprung for the dust right. Should help with less particles escaping from the bag.

-I'll add to this when I receive the rest of the parts and get my out feed table built. I'm also looking at over arm blade guards for catching the dust over the table. That is the biggest offender of fine dust in my shop, and I would like to put an end to it, or at least manage it as best I can. I hope this is helpful to anyone with smaller dust collectors looking to make the best of a non-optimal situation.

post-3732-0-75960500-1397803211_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-49569500-1397803216_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-49912000-1397803221_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-12021900-1397803226_thumb.jp

No longer available...gave it away.  Shipping would have probably been so high that it would have been no different than just ordering straight from newegg...you know how those shipping discounts go for the big companies.  What costs them $10 to ship would cost the average Joe $50.  It found a good home though and avoided the dumpster, and I have a new midget 35 gallon tucked nicely in its corner. :)

• Like 1