JeffT

Flip top tool cart

10 posts in this topic

I am re-laying out my garage shop (again), and am interested in plans for a mobile tool cart with a flip top, I want to have a belt/disk sander on one side, and a small planner on the other. The design part I'm curious about is how to make the top easy to flip, but keep it stable when I'm using one of the tools. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I made a flip top cart for my thickness planer.

It uses swing out eye bolts in each corner as pivot locks,

I didn't work from plans, but I did make step by step photos during the build.

Perhaps you might find the pictures helpful.

Click here for the web page.

P1010187.JPG

P1010217.JPG

I did one for my miter saw with the other side an open work top. The pivoting box is offset to keep the deck of the saw or the worktop flush to the work surface next to the stand. I documented it on a blog posting long ago here. In my case, the locks are just cotterless pins inserted into a hole on both sides. For the pivot point, I also just used a nut and bolt, but I also bought teflon sleeves; you can get those in the drawers under the bags of bolts at Borg or Lowes. It makes the rotation smoother and I thought eventually the bolt would wear away my pivot hole. Likely over-thought that part.

I don't recall the size of the bolt... take a look at the size of the hole drilled and compare it to the 1.5" thickness of the top, that should give you an idea. I think the bolts were 3 or 4 inches long.

If you like, I could take a wrench to it tomorrow and measure the diameter of the bolt, but it's really not critical.

Wood Magazine has a 2 tool version in their Basic Built series. It was published in 2008, I believe. I'm not saying it's better, but if you have a copy of that issue, you can get an approximate cut list and parts list.

I just checked... the lag bolts are 1/2" diameter.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking time to measure the size.

I made one exactly like Alan except I used a 1" dowel for the pivot. The base for the tools (a ridgid lunchbox planer and a ridgid OSS) is a sandwich of 3/4" ply as the buns and 3/4" hardwood frame 2 1/2" wide all around. I anchored with eye bolts and drilled through before inserting and pinning the dowel with a 1 3/4" screw.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• 88 degrees Fahrenheit?  That sounds great.  It will be rarely under 98 degrees in my garage for the next couple of months. The worst is when a drop of sweat falls from the nose, onto the SawStop table saw.  I have to be very careful of that lest I risk tripping the brake.  I'm using this time to get as many interior jobs done as possible.  I sympathize on the heat issue!
    • Inlaying metal into plywood will be challenging since you have very little latitude when it comes to leveling the surface....meaning, you can't really sand much on plywood because you burn through the veneers immediately.  I'm sure it's been done successfully by someone somewhere, but it's not a task I would care to take on. Otherwise the design is fine structurally, except you'll need to figure out a way to keep those legs from racking.
    • My thoughts on these guys are well known. Just a guy. A guy with a fantastic talent for making beautiful furniture. A talent that took years to hone. I used to say that most people in this forum could eventually make something that nice, but I'd say that it's likely in the 95th percentile. I'd love to apprentice at his shop. I'd likely be sweeping the floor and sharpening blades... But, it would be fun.
    • To answer a hinted question. Guys and gals that use logs start with much bigger samples. Even if you slab that chunk, you lose length as drying checks the ends. If you have ever been in log structures, you see massive cracks that don't affect the structure much. A massive crack in that little piece might leave it in two pieces. Places that make timber structures are often pulling logs from mill ponds after 80 years of sitting on the bottom. They are grabbing barn beams from barns built 150 years ago. Then they cut massive amounts of wood away to get to portions that are least affected. Your chunk might be useful, but the smaller you cut it before it dries, the smaller the useful end product you usually harvest.  I don't want to be overly negative though. Having played a bit with wet logs, I will suggest waiting a year. Seal the end grain with a log sealer, not a finish. Finishes will shed from wet wood. Most cracks will develop in the first year. It may be that a saw cut down the pith will leave you with a block you can glue back together. Just know that most of us would not get our hopes up. 
    • Can't you just make a panel large enough for the top by gluing up less-wide boards? I suppose you could try routing a groove in the plywood and then cleaning it up with a chisel. I'd be worried about tearout, though.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room