JeffT

Flip top tool cart

10 posts in this topic

I am re-laying out my garage shop (again), and am interested in plans for a mobile tool cart with a flip top, I want to have a belt/disk sander on one side, and a small planner on the other. The design part I'm curious about is how to make the top easy to flip, but keep it stable when I'm using one of the tools. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I made a flip top cart for my thickness planer.

It uses swing out eye bolts in each corner as pivot locks,

I didn't work from plans, but I did make step by step photos during the build.

Perhaps you might find the pictures helpful.

Click here for the web page.

P1010187.JPG

P1010217.JPG

I did one for my miter saw with the other side an open work top. The pivoting box is offset to keep the deck of the saw or the worktop flush to the work surface next to the stand. I documented it on a blog posting long ago here. In my case, the locks are just cotterless pins inserted into a hole on both sides. For the pivot point, I also just used a nut and bolt, but I also bought teflon sleeves; you can get those in the drawers under the bags of bolts at Borg or Lowes. It makes the rotation smoother and I thought eventually the bolt would wear away my pivot hole. Likely over-thought that part.

I don't recall the size of the bolt... take a look at the size of the hole drilled and compare it to the 1.5" thickness of the top, that should give you an idea. I think the bolts were 3 or 4 inches long.

If you like, I could take a wrench to it tomorrow and measure the diameter of the bolt, but it's really not critical.

Wood Magazine has a 2 tool version in their Basic Built series. It was published in 2008, I believe. I'm not saying it's better, but if you have a copy of that issue, you can get an approximate cut list and parts list.

I just checked... the lag bolts are 1/2" diameter.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking time to measure the size.

I made one exactly like Alan except I used a 1" dowel for the pivot. The base for the tools (a ridgid lunchbox planer and a ridgid OSS) is a sandwich of 3/4" ply as the buns and 3/4" hardwood frame 2 1/2" wide all around. I anchored with eye bolts and drilled through before inserting and pinning the dowel with a 1 3/4" screw.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Hi Paddy welcome to the forum. As the guys eluded to coating with shellac first of all will be a good option. In the UK a good premixed shellac is Liberon sanding sealer. One or two coats of this before putting the Ronseal on top would be a good option. You might need more than one coat of Ronseal BTW (read the can).   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-SS250-250ml-Sanding-Sealer/dp/B000TVK42Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1472114794&sr=1-1&keywords=sanding+sealer    
    • Thanks for the reply guys. I'm was thinking of using the gloss paint below: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NFCYR5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I think I might just give it a god with the rubbing down and mineral spirit. I'll let you guys know how I get on! might be one of those that I don't know the error of my ways till a year down the road! Again thanks for the reply guys!  
    • All,    I'm through a period in my life where I wasn't able to woodwork and I've got a 9 month old son (FYI), my family and I are living in Germany for another year or two. When we moved here I sold all of my large tools (save money for incoming baby and multiple moves in the short term). So now I'm looking to start fresh, I have multiple rooms in my basement, and I'm looking at options. One room is large with a cement floor but only ONE German power outlet by the light switch. The other is just as large but has the washer, dryer, power panels, etc. The upside to the second room is that it has multiple American outlets as the house is wired for both. Now for the tool options: Option 1: Go essentially all hand tools and use this time to hone all of those skills. I'm talking ripping and crosscutting with Disstons, milling boards by hand, etc. Option 2: Since I am in Germany.... I could get some Festool and go for the more hybrid approach. I don't think it's feasible to get a table saw over here and I have all of the electrical issues to account for if I go with Option 2. Specifically: I could buy US tools online, or buy German tools and deal with transformers and possible US resale value decrease in the long term, since I'll eventually be back in the States.   Thoughts?   (Good to be back!)
    • I have a friend that built a 10' x 28" long Roubo.  5" thick European beech.  No sag.  It makes my Roubo look like a toy.  I think you will want to beef up the leg dimensions, but that's mainly for aesthetics. At 4' wide you are at 2 Roubo width. Just build 2, and only put vises on one side. Later in life, you can sell one and move the other into your home shop. 
    • OK, That looks similar to mine after 3 coats. and the c hange in color with the oil confirms what my ample board told me.  I am going to use flat water base poly (2 coats) because I need a little more protection for the wood.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for the response.    It might be interesting to make my own since the little bags a woodcraft are pricey.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room