Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Staining maple a weathered gray

1 post in this topic

June 27, 2011 - 8:18 pm Reply

We are trying to stain a maple bar counter in our restaurant to have a weathered, gray look. Does anyone know how we can do that? It was stained a cherry color, so we sanded off the stain to the original light colored wood. We will also have to protect it from all the wiping and spilling that happens on restaurant counters, but we still want it to have that natural weathered gray look. Any advice? I asked the woodwhisperer and he said that there is a two part clear solution that chemically reacts with wood to make it gray. Any body know what the name is or have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• Single M&T will be more than strong enough, but why not mix it up and do half of the joints single and the other half with double. No one will ever know what the joint is unless you tell them, but it will give you an opportunity to experiment and try something new
    • Probably an auger. Forstners are pretty difficult to keep straight through a deep hole using a hand drill.
    • I totally agree about respecting them.  Our local driver (weekly curbside pickup) is the nicest guy.  fwiw, according to the interweb in 2015 Chicago sanitation laborers (I assume this includes the drivers) made over $73K/yr.  This is more than a lot of the teachers and cops make where I live. The point about fires and safety is a good one - I never thought of that.  I've seen fires in trash compactors, and they seem to just burn forever.  I would imagine a garbage truck would be similar.
    • Oh we are definitely not keeping it dark like that after all the sanding is complete. At the very least, we will be scraping the popcorn off of the ceiling and either sand and keep the drywall that's up there or paint over the stain on the ceilings with a white paint.  As for the walls, we originally wanted to do a blue wash technique but after realizing that the wood has such a natural red tint due to the heart pine, we are wondering if a blue wash would even work. I just read about bleaching but I haven't researched it too much. Worse comes to worse, we may end up doing a white wash instead. We haven't made out mind up regarding the floors yet though. Once we decide on the color of the walls, we will determine the dark or lightness of the finish on the floors.  We are located a few minutes from the beach so we are turning the house into a beachy craftsman of sorts so light and bright colors are what we are going after.  The house has been altered so much over the years, it hardly holds any characteristics of its original form from what we can tell.  The problem with the belt sander was two fold. My lack of experience caused me to burn the wood a bit which I learned very quickly lol. The other is the weight of the belt sander is incredibly restraining when attempting to hold against a vertical wall for a long period of time. I'm only 37 so I'm not old by any stretch but dang my hands and wrists were killing me after only a small fraction of time while attempting to keep pressure against the wall. Thus again could be due to my inexperienced nature 
    • Another question on this - the horizontal slots I'm going to make in the back of the beam - what's the best way to make these? I'd use my plunge router but the slots need to be 112mm deep so I guess it's time to get the drill out and bore some overlapping holes and chisel out the rest - what would you go for: Classic auger style bit New style auger bit e.g. Irwin blue groove (actually would be an armeg wood beaver)  Forstner bit Or something else?? Obviously spade ends are out of the picture as they'll chatter as soon as the hole overlaps. I don't have a stand drill so this will be done 'freehand' with a cordless.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room