Sheet Goods Storage

mgradwohl

My shop is being overwhelmed by a big pile of sheet goods that are not mobile. I can't move them around easily, so I've decided to organized them on a Sheet Goods Rack.

Please take a look at my design and let me know what you think.

My blog entry is here on the Upper Cut Woodworking blog.

Thanks everyone!

Guest Mahoganus

My shop is being overwhelmed by a big pile of sheet goods that are not mobile. I can't move them around easily, so I've decided to organized them on a Sheet Goods Rack.

Please take a look at my design and let me know what you think.

My blog entry is here on the Upper Cut Woodworking blog.

Thanks everyone!

I have the same problem,, will be interesting to see how it works out for ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt, I too just went through that and I will share the outcome for me and then comment on your design. First, I too wanted something mobile as I see setting up a permanent shop as too overwhelming, being newbie, I am sure things will change so permanence is a bad thing. In reality my space constraints required me to go vertical. Yes, vertical :) Sheet good vertical storage is awesome. It is not mobile, but it is tucked into the corner, is fairly thin and a as a consolation prize, it gives you 1 thirty two foot square wall to hang tools, etc. that you didnt have before ;) If its not tucked into the corner, you get two extra walls for storage. You can make it mobile, but I thought that the physics were flawed, putting a sheet on its short side on wheels seemed like disaster waiting to happen. In your design, the two foot lower portion may prevent you from being able to comfortable cut plywood (reaching over too far)not to mention the fact that the lower cubby areas are the same sizes, and unless your doing a lot of casework where you will have lots of square off cuts, you might want to make one square and perhaps the other rectangle if you continue with this design. Most recently I saw a plan (maybe wood magazine?) from an old timer who simply leaned 4 2x4 against his garage wall with a cleat dadoed in at the bottom, the tops were secured somehow but I dont recall at the moment. The sheet was loaded onto the cleat and clamped above the cut line at the outer most 2x's. This brings up an important point which I didn't see addressed on your design, blade pinch as your making your cut. Nice thing was, when your done the 2x's store out of the way and you have your shop space. Hope this helps :)