A slightly different approach to the joinery.

nikbrown

After a weeks delay due to the death of my old Ryobi lunchbox planer. I finally started my glue up today. I'm building out of 7/8" thick cherry. I took a little different approach to the joinery. I figured since I was glueing up 3 boards anyway I may as well make the middle one 7.5" wide and just build the finger joints into the glueup. (less waste and even more grain continuity between the sides of the box ;-)

post-1793-0-35382300-1376488702_thumb.jp

Looking good.

new planer in the background? what kind?

Yea I was looking at the Grizzly G0453 15" and the Dewalt 735. 

After spending a day researching and calculating...

1. Floor space isn't really an issue.

2. The 15" grizzly will last at least twice as long as the 735 and preform better while it does. So it essentially pays for itself over time.

3. Even if I only have 2-3 sets of straight knives, and get them resharpened and grab a planer pal, the spiral cutter head with carbide blades just about breaks even over the life span of the first set of carbide cutters... and certainly saves money once you are in the second set.... and does so with better cut quality and less time and aggravation.

Once I looked at all that it seems that the choice is pretty clear (buy your last tool first even it the $ hurts at first). I ended up with the 15" Grizzly with spiral cutter. QUITE THE UPGRADE OVER THE OLD 10" RYOBI :-D!!

• Like 1

I cant really attest to how much the GO453Z is quieter over the strait blade version, having never heard it. It's MUCH quieter than my old lunchbox!!!!! I would have have no issue running it without ear protection.... but my dust collector is in the main shop as well and it's pretty loud so I don't run it without headphones. 

I have no experience with the grizzly table saws but I have the 17" extreme series bandsaw and freaking love it!!! I also have the G1030Z2 dust collector and other than being loud it's really nice!