Planer Problem

ronnie

I have never had a belt break in one of my planers. However, when one breaks in any of my portable tools, it is usually from not being free of debris or an alignment problem. Alignment in a planer is probably not the problem, but more likely a piece of wood from the planing process itself got into the drive pulley. Even a very short time interference in the clearence between the belt and pulley could cause the beginning of the belt fraying. (the clacking sounds) At the revolutions in most planers, 8000 rpm or so, it dosen't take much to chew up a belt. Another possibility is if a cut being made is too heavy for the belt to withstand the added pressure on the ribs, they will tend to shear off. Then the drive motor hits a bare spot on the belt and begins to remove more ribs, and so on. I don't have a dust collector in my shop, so the air compressor and hose with the air blower nozzle comes into play every so often when the planers are being used. And again after the planing session is over. Good luck on getting the repair done.

:( I was planing some stock today in my shop, when I heard clacking coming from the planner. So I stopped and took the lid off.

I cleaned out most of the dust and found that the drive belt was coming apart. The strands that where coming off the belt was getting hung up inside so I cut them off to keep it from getting hung up again. Soon after that, I put every thing back together again, and started back planing again. Needless to say the belt finally broke. The nearest service centers are 100-150 miles away. If any one of you have ever had this problem can you give me some tips. Any suggestions would be much appreciated..

Thanks...............

Thanks for the tips..... They were very usefull... :)

I had went to the DeWalt website to find the belt that I needed. At first I had a little trouble finding the part, price, and number.

After you gave me that link, it was pretty easy to find...

Thanks for the link................And after looking at the planer a little more, there was a plate that can be taken off to get to the drive belt easier.. So I think that I can get away with doing the work myself. Its not to complicated...

Thanx again................

• 2 weeks later...

Good news......

I ordered the belt off the Internet, last Friday and received it yesterday morning. I put it on myself..

Now were up and running again. What was kinda of cool to me was how simple it was to put the belt on. I just removed the side panel off the planer and the two small side vents and the chain with the tension pulley. Removed the debre of the old one and cleaned around the area a bit. Waited to get the new one in and replaced it. Easy as 1,2,3...

Thanks for the tips.... :D:D:D