Value of Black Walnut in Log Form

Peloftus

I may have the chance to buy a few black walnut logs that were taken down from a friends yard. The tree was healthy but needed to be removed for some other reason. Logs range from 42" diameter to 18" and are approximately 12-16' already laying on the ground. I'd like to offer him a fair price for them but I will still have to load and haul to a sawyer and pay to have it milled. I also realize there is always risk in getting a sawyer to mill urban logs but assuming I can find one that will saw the lumber up, does anybody have an idea of what a reasonable offer for this wood might be laying on the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the problem is you don't know what you've got until you open it up.  (Sort of like Christmas, really.)  I don't know what a reasonable price for Black Walnut might be off hand, but if you head to places like Bell Forest Woods, Woodcraft, or even Shannon Rogers' own McIlvain lumber, you can get a reasonable expectation of what wood sells for.  

I cannot tell you it will be $3 a foot (for example) because I don't know enough and don't have the material in front of me.  But it's a starting point.  Just use the online price lists they have, and if you need more information try to contact them through the internal links.