Furniture Styles - Books & References

dbro

I've been looking around for a good introductory book that covers the basics of the major/mainstream furniture styles. I know some of the main buzzwords and can find lots of books on how to build "Arts and Craft" or other specific styles. I'm really looking for more of a picture book that illustrates the main periods and their defining characteristics.

I have come across the Connected Lines site, which looks like a great reference, but the illustrations are ... well, line art, and not the greatest resolution. This looks like a great reference once I know more.

Any pointers to books (out of print or not!) or web sites that might help serve as an overview would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, I wasn’t real sure what you meant by “major/mainstream furniture styles”, but based on the link you inserted, I would recommend “Furniture: World styles from classical to contemporary” by Judith Miller. It’s sort of a history book of furniture “starting with 4000 B.C.E. to 1600 C.E and ending with post contemporary and modern in 1970 to the present”. Supposedly a new edition is coming out in November per the publisher. If you look on Amazon, disregard the prices on the initial page. You can find much lower prices elsewhere, such as $50-60. However, Amazon does have the “Look Inside” option which will show you a few pages. They have selected page images that show large pictures, but I’ve looked through this book and many of the pictures are much smaller but certainly good quality.

Please keep in mind, that even though this is a 560 page book, it can only show you a small sampling of each period or era. If you want detail on a particular period then you'll need to look for books on each period. But this book will give you a starting point. I checked this book out of the library so if you can find one at your library you can look through it to see if it meets your requirements.

I also ran across this book published in 1914. You can download the pdf of the book for free. The photographs are black & white. However, they are not too bad in quality and they do have drawings and furniture details that are decent. It doesn’t have the historical breadth Judith Miller’s book has, but it may be more of what you want. Of course nothing after 1914. By the way, if you page down a few pages to the “Contents” the main headings are clickable which is a quick way to go to the beginning of each major section.

I've been looking around for a good introductory book that covers the basics of the major/mainstream furniture styles. I know some of the main buzzwords and can find lots of books on how to build "Arts and Craft" or other specific styles. I'm really looking for more of a picture book that illustrates the main periods and their defining characteristics.

I have come across the Connected Lines site, which looks like a great reference, but the illustrations are ... well, line art, and not the greatest resolution. This looks like a great reference once I know more.

Any pointers to books (out of print or not!) or web sites that might help serve as an overview would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

There are a lot of great reference books out there. Ether from the last few years or reprints from a century or so ago. A fantastic place to look is Cambium Books. They specialize in furniture and architectural reference books.

Also, you'll find a few here and there in the Taunton Store.

Have fun and let me know if you need more references.

Thanks guys, those are very helpful pointers.

The Judith Miller book was the kind of reference I'm looking for. I'll check out my local library.

The Cambium website looks great, I had not come across that one yet, but it looks like it has some books I'd be interested in.

If anyone else has favorites I'm listening! :)