Conversion Varnish

Artisanbilt

Evening All,

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with spraying conversion varnish that I could get some tips from. It's been a few years since I did my own finishing and just now trying to get back into it. I'm trying to spray SW's Sher-Wood Water White CV using a Bink Mach 1 HVLP. I may move to a conventional gun if I can't get desired results with the HVLP gun. As I said, it's been a while since I sprayed finish and usually that was water based products.

Thanks,

Ken

Custom closet and cabinetry manufacturer/installer.

Ken, I haven't spray the Sherwin Williams product, but I think Marc used that stuff one time. I have sprayed this conversion varnish though: Enduro Water Based Pre-Cat Urethane and it worked like a champ! I sprayed a table top on the wood and a bookcase over milk paint and it has held up very well. I did not use the sanding sealer that they recommend. It is a crystal clear product that was invisible over the white paint on the bookcase (except for the nice semi-gloss sheen).

Let us know how the SW product goes.

Not sure of the problems you are having, but conversion varnish is definitely a different animal. As each finish manufacture formulates its products differently you will probably get that many different opinions on what is going on. Have you given any thought of discussing your finishing issues with your local supplier who sold it to you? They probably have a good working knowledge of that product and any quirks that may go along with it.

Going down the road, if you can’t get that conversion varnish to behave. Lloogie has mentioned a great alternative to a solvent conversion varnish from General Finishes, called ” Enduro Pre-Cat Urethane” while not a conversion varnish, it is formulated and marketed to go head to head with any solvent conversion varnish. Maybe worth a try…..hmmmm?

-Ace-

Enduro-Precat-Urethane-250.jpg