What I want under the tree this year .

susieq4131

I have a tilting spindle sander but the spindles are only 5 1/2 inches high. I'm not going to name the brand but it seems to have a serious design flaw - the spindles are very difficult to change as they freeze up. The company replaced my machine two months after I got it for that exact reason. I'm still having the same issue with this new machine. I have the two inch spindle on it right now (the largest this machine comes with), and not sure I can get if off. I need to be able to change the spindles when I want to.

So I'm ready to upgrade to what I hope is a better machine. :D Anyone have any experience with this one? Comments would be appreciated. This one has everything I want! I am ready to drive up to Seattle and pick this one up. If I could get a "Black Friday" deal on this, I would be heaven.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/G1071

SQ

I have the exact machine. You'll love it!

I am so happy to hear that! You have never had a problem with the spindles freezing up so they are next to impossible to change?

I have hubby talked into this machine. :D I also want a 20 inch planer, but he is holding steady on a giant NO on that request. lol

Just talked to customer service - it's being offered for $650.00. They say there is no "Black Friday" special for less than this price.

Seems the WA location is Bellingham - not Seattle. Think I might have it shipped.

We have both 110 and 220 in the shop. :)

SQ

I am so happy to hear that! You have never had a problem with the spindles freezing up so they are next to impossible to change?

I have hubby talked into this machine. :D I also want a 20 inch planer, but he is holding steady on a giant NO on that request. lol

Just talked to customer service - it's being offered for $650.00. They say there is no "Black Friday" special for less than this price.

Seems the WA location is Bellingham - not Seattle. Think I might have it shipped.

We have both 110 and 220 in the shop. :)

SQ

Glad to help. No, I've never had any trouble with the spindles freezing up. Just takes a couple of wrenches - which are supplied - and it's a simple process.

You might ask when you get there if the have a scratched or dented model that is in perfect working order. Sometimes they do and they will sell them at a discount.

The hardest thing you'll find you'll have to do with this machine is clean all the greasy junk off the top. I used a generous amount of mineral spirits and a roll of paper towels to clean mine.

Make sure your spindles are square with your top and you're good to go.

Maybe you could talk your hubby into a 15" planer with spiral cutterheads???? I have one and it's great! Compliments my 12" jointer perfectly. All Grizzly products by the way.

Have fun shopping!

Glad to help. No, I've never had any trouble with the spindles freezing up. Just takes a couple of wrenches - which are supplied - and it's a simple process.

You might ask when you get there if the have a scratched or dented model that is in perfect working order. Sometimes they do and they will sell them at a discount.

The hardest thing you'll find you'll have to do with this machine is clean all the greasy junk off the top. I used a generous amount of mineral spirits and a roll of paper towels to clean mine.

Make sure your spindles are square with your top and you're good to go.

Maybe you could talk your hubby into a 15" planer with spiral cutterheads???? I have one and it's great! Compliments my 12" jointer perfectly. All Grizzly products by the way.

Have fun shopping!

Thank you so much for all the information. I went ahead and ordered it. Waiting for the email on delivery time. Yes, they do protect these items well with grease. Appreciate the tips on how to clean it off.

I bet you do love those spiral blades. That would certainly be my first choice, too. I have a 15 inch Jet planer with regular blades and it works well. Got it used off Craig's List with very little use for $650 plus one of my bowls. :) A 20 inch planer would be a wonderful luxury. I could then make bowls, platters, etc that are larger than 15 inches in diameter. Not something I have to have, but wouldn't it be nice.....

Thanks again! You have been a huge help.

SQ

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47