Disston Rancher 10 TPI

dog2bert

Hmm. I thought they were called "Rancher." I think they were made in the late '40s through the 1950s. I think they were trying to catch a little wind from the popularity of cowboy TV shows and westerns at the time. I have a K-3 "Pacemaker" from the 1930s (also a second-line saw) with a runner on the etch; I'd speculate they were trying to market their saw to the excitement over the Olympics. They're not Disston's best efforts, but if you clean it off, sharpen the teeth, and put some wax on it, it'll probably beat the pants off just about any crosscut you'll get at the hardware store today. Ten TPI is on the fine side, and will take longer to cut something, but with sharp teeth, it can be an impressively smooth cut. More for finer, cabinetry cuts than rough sizing. If you have a chance, get it. If you've never cleaned and sharpened a saw before, it'd be a good one to "cut your teeth on," if you'll pardon the pun. Ha. Ha. Ha.