Powermatic 54A table aligning

wordsmith07

I had read several old topics on here about aligning the tables on a Powermatic 54A.

The manual states one might have to adjust gib screws if and when one or more table might sag.

My problems was just the opposite that both outside edges were higher than the points nearest the cutterhead and no amount of adjustment would allow them to lower and be co-planer.

After researching all I could find and finding no simple answer, I removed each gib one at a time and flushed the dovetail with WD40 and compressed air. The gibs looked as if they had no wear and only after reversing the gib end-for-end did I get anywhere close to level.

I am going to order a new set for future use. The jointer is about 6 years ols but has not been abused or had that many hours placed on it.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem. I always thought that the tables would sag from the inside out with wear and tear.

Not so!

• 4 years later...