Beadlock Joinery System

MisterDrow

On 10/22/2016 at 8:16 AM, CharleyL said:

I own a Beadlock jig, but also own a Leigh FMT Pro. I now do all of my M&T joints on the FMT, but I got started many years ago with a standard 3/8" Beadlock. It's a great, easy to learn, low budget jig that will produce great results and the only power tool that you need to use with it is a hand drill. Of course, a power saw might be great for cutting the tenon stock to length, but a hand saw is almost just as easy. I made one modification to my Beadlock jig. The gold plating on the jig's alignment line gave me trouble because it was difficult for me to see the edge of it. I filed this gold plating off of the surface (the flat surface facing you - do not file the side of the hole) around this alignment marker, and then colored the exposed metal with a black marking pen. After doing this it was very easy for me to see and align this edge to the position mark on my board. Learning to insert spacers between the drill guide block and the jig allows you to offset the joint to make table legs join proud (stick out) from the table rails, etc. so the two surfaces don't always have to be the same.

I have loaned out my Beadlock several times to newer, less experienced, woodworkers and all have achieved good results with it. It's a good and relatively cheap way to get started doing M&T joints.

Charley

Thanks for the input there, Charley!