Record 52 1/2 Vise

Books

Does anyone out there know what size machine screws are needed to attach cheeks to the jaws of a Record 52 1/2 woodworking vise? 1/4" too small, 5/16" too big. Tried M6 metric -- also too big. Hate to use a tap and resize, since it was obviously made to accept something readily available at the time it was made. Any ideas? Maybe someone has original specs?

9/32"? I would use a 1/4" with a washer.

*Edit* Upon further research from this website, " Shop made wooden jaw liners are easily installed using screws after the vise has been mounted. On the rear jaw liner countersink the screws heads to avoid marring work when clamping. "

All the images I'm seeing don't have the holes threaded. So I'd probably use a hardwood for the cheeks, counter bore a hole into the cheek, with a 1/4"-20 bolt and washer and use a nylon locking washer on the backside to attach.

Edited by Catco
Added info

Thanks -- Catco is right -- no threads at all. I was led astray by Scott Landis' "Workbench Book". Page 240 shows cheeks attached with machine screws.  Page 147 shows cheeks attached to a Record with flat head wood screws flush fit with the backs of the jaws in countersinks. My Record has neither threads nor countersinks, so will either go the bolt, washer, nut solution -- which will mean cutting  holes in the side of the bench top to make room for them; or alternatively, tapping the holes to accept machine screws. So -- "Shop made wooden jaw liners are easily installed  using screws after the vise has been mounted" may be a bit of British wit.