Use petroleum jelly to "leach out" white haze/patches post-poly

Tim Billick

Howdy,

It's been awhile since I've refinished anything, and this is my first real "big project." I sanded and refinished my dining room table and the leaves using minwax oil based stain. I applied the stain on the leaves outside in ideal (sunny) drying conditions. However, the weather started to turn and I had to finish the table over the course of a week outside under a tarp while it rained all around (UGH!). So I think I have some moisture trapped in in the stain causing some white haze or patches. See the pics. I've already done 4 coats of minwax oil based wipe-on poly per the instructions hoping it would fix itself. Alas that has not been the case. 

Ideally I'm trying to avoid a complete strip, sand, and do-over. I read this article that says you might have good luck using petroleum jelly to "leach out" the moisture. https://www.hunker.com/13417015/what-causes-a-white-haze-after-applying-a-polyurethane-satin-coat

Has anyone tried this? Will it work? Any other tips to fix this nasty haze? thanks! 

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG