need some advice, staining birch plywood

bsoder

I am in need of some advice before I finish up the table I'm working on. The top is birch plywood, sanded with 220 and cleaned, but nothing else so far; I figured it's a lot easier to get advice before I do anything I shouldn't, rather than try to fix it after I've already made a mess. :)  I am staining it to match a set of chairs, and I had Sherwin-Williams match the stain color for me. The product I got from them is SHER-WOOD BAC Wiping Stain, which is oil-based, and they recommended I apply it by HVLP; they did some testing on a piece of the plywood I'd provided for matching and found that spraying it was giving them the best finish.

From doing my own learning, it seems that I probably want to use a conditioner before staining the birch? I would like to topcoat it with pre-cat lacquer, also applying it via HVLP, and if I understand correctly, I could use the same lacquer thinned by 50% as a conditioner before staining? Since the stain is oil-based, does that impact how I should go about this, ie. spray the thinned lacquer, wait until dry (how dry? Wait a day, or an hour?), spray the stain, wait until dry (several days, since it's oil-based?) and then spray no more than three coats of the lacquer on top?

I could very well have a lot of stuff wrong here - I've never used oil-based stain, or lacquer for sealing for that matter, before, and I would really prefer not to muck this up so any help or information would be great.

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

I don't know if i'd bother conditioning before I sprayed the color top. If you are going to apply with an HVLP just make sure your material feed rate is low and do multiple coats with the color. I'd be concerned applying the stain over a conditioned surface that I could get imperfections in the color.

I've applied Dye over birch and maple unconditioned this way and had really really good luck. The pictures below are coloring over a 120 sanded surface with no conditioner.32456ew3q4.thumb.jpg.67981417fa094f1aa6ab6bc80dcbda22.jpg

76545678.thumb.jpg.ed0982a013fc73e5bcd5d8a2e105f64e.jpg

u7654345678.thumb.jpg.9396c1b84f6f1cb3e04baacb7245dab5.jpg