Unexpected Woodworking Project

billboard

A 36 inch wide refrigerator will not fit into a 34 inch space. About a year ago our dishwasher went out. We had the old standard white appliance setup in the kitchen and all of them were old. As my wife and I were shopping for the new dishwasher, she fell in love with the stainless steel setup. So I brought it home and installed it. Later came a new stove followed by a new over the range microwave. With this years tax return we picked up the final piece, the refrigerator. My sons and I unloaded and unboxed the new appliance and brought it inside while my wife emptied the old refrigerator. I disconnected the water line, unplugged the old unit and we rolled it out to the deck. At this point it hits me. I never measured the space. A quick check and another double check, our new appliance was 2 inches bigger than the space. Doh!

Fortunatley the right side of the Fridge had a small upper and lower cabinet. I spent a couple of hours removing them and rolled the new stainless steel beast into position. The next day I took the leftover pieces and cut them down and used them to trim out what was left of the cabinet. Turned out pretty good. This is now going to lead to stripping wallpaper and repainting the kitchen over the next few weeks. You just never know what you are going to get into.