Birch Stain Problem

docfletcher

Greetings, newbie here, and to staining woods of any sort. New bow window installed. Seat and headboards furniture grade birch plywood. I used Minwax wood conditioner on the seat then proceded to stain with Minwax Gel stain antique maple. It looks nice except for a very light roundish area that is not taking stain.. Two days later I put a 2nd coat hoping the area would darken. It did not and became what seemed even lighter. I tried blending the gel stain into the spot to make it darker and more in tone, without success. So I got out the Turpentine and washed off as much of the stain on the whole seat board as I could. So now I'm back down to the first stain coat.

I did try to sand the area with 220 grit, and staining the area again. It did not help. So now I'm stuck. I'm thinking of sanding with a courser grit, like 180 to open up the grain to take stain. I think the veneer is thick enough to take one more sanding. I'd appreciate any advice you give. Thanks.

Hi fletch, and welcome to woodworking! Using that minwax conditioner wasn't good for your project, but it's something we've probably all done when starting out (face it, it's what's on the shelves at the borg's so we think it's a great product). The reason it wasn't good is because it has sealed off your wood and that's why it's not taking color. The reason it got even lighter with the 2nd coat was because the 2nd application dissolved the 1st coat (that's called a like on like...oil on oil, or water on water), and pulled some color back off. Here's what you can try. Wipe off your birch plywood with some lacquer thinner then sand it with some 220. Then apply some blotch control (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/blotch-control-to-rule-them-all/)per instructions. THIS "pre-stain conditioner" is a water base and not only stops blotching, it allows color retention. Also, you might want to look at General Finishes water base stains & dyes (much stronger in pigment and they color better). Once you've re-applied a 1st coat of stain...if you think you need a 2nd coat, you should dust it (very light SPRAYING), with some 1/2lb to 1lb cut dewaxed shellac (again, you'll be dealing with a like on like and the 2nd coat can actually pull off some of the 1st coat). I hope all of this helps and I hope you're able to fix your project and will be encouraged to continue learning and doing more woodworking! (and don't forget to think safety and use a respirator!!!)