Tried to repair beautiful table and failed

Holly

Help needed! My kids used kinetic sand and made a ton of scratches in our beautiful kitchen table. I quickly tried Tibet almond oil and murphys oil and it only made deep water stains in the grain. My husband came home hours later and sanded away the scratches and oil stains and applied 2 layers of polyurethane. Then he did some more light sanding and put on another layer of polyurethane. Thought the problem was fixed. The table looked different but still good. However it has been almost a month and now we are seeing new darker spots and some black areas. Hoping one of you experts might be able advise us on how to restore this beautiful table! 

Was the entire table top sanded, or only the scratched areas? What I see appears to be the sort of mottled coloration that species like cherry can exhibit if exposed unevenly to oxygen, humidity, and UV radiation.

There are some members with far more finishing experience than I, perhaps one of them can offer a solution. I can only suggest sanding the entire top clean and starting fresh. 

• Like 1