Tung oil Finish (zar) over oil based stain

g0d5_g1ft

Good day everyone, Im new here and new to wood working in general.

Basically I have a Keller Maple drum shell coming my way, I wanted to stain it with a nice dark and rich brown/walnut/teak color. Unfortunately here in manila aniline dyes and water based stains are almost impossible to find. The only dye available here are food dye and textile dye. Long story short I got an oil based stain, branded KONIG. I tried it on the small strips of maple that my friend gave me, initial coat was fine. When I tried to go for a second coat to darken the color, I found out that it seals on each coat thus making the 2nd coat ineffective. Then I tried Tung oil, I've had three coats already with the oil as of this writing and honestly im not seeing any sheen that isn't already there before.

The question is do all oil based stains seal as well? or is it just this one brand? My choices in stains are very limited here in manila the other brands I see are local paint brands and zar.

What I'm trying to achieve is first darken the maple while having the grains pronounced. And then have a nice glass like top coat on top of it.

process is (i think):

sand maple to 220

stain

tung oil finish

seal

top coat with multiple layers of tung oil or poly but we dont have pure tung oil here so I might aswell opt for the poly

attached is the look im trying to achieve, the picture is of a walnut shell (hence, walnut stain), I know I wont get the same dark shade of this walnut. I just wanted that deep brown shade with the grains sticking out under a glassy finish.

help please

post-4192-0-55194200-1300201634_thumb.jp