Calling all experienced re-sawers and bandsaw guru's

tperson

Calling all re-sawers and bandsaw gurus, I need your help. Last night I was resawing some 10”wide 5/4 QSWO on my Jet 18” bandsaw and was having ‘stress’…the stinking blade kept slipping off of the thrust bearing. This involved a few screwdrivers to pry the kerf open enough to turn the blade by hand backwards until it climbs back in position and then reset the guides. The first board was the worst, happened 3 times in 20”, the second one was better…only happened once. What the heck is going on? Well, I think I know what’s going on…as I finagle the board to keep the blade on track, I think it’s twisting the blade enough it falls off the bearing. The questions is, how do I stop this from happening? I’ve got the gullets of the blade as centered in the wheel as possible, the guides adjusted a papers-width from the blade…but it keep happening. Do I need to invest in some different/better guides? If so, Carter’s? Other guide recommendations? Do I not have enough blade tension? I’m all ears to any suggestions the group has…I’ve resawn 2 boards and have 4 to go.

bandsaw1.jpg

bandsaw2.jpg

bandsaw3.jpg

Edited by tperson
grammatical errors

Try another stick of wood to see if it’s tool or wood. Could be tire, bent blade, huge co-planer offset (loose adjustment bolt), loose guide.  I would think your blade would have to be extremely loose. 
Have to eliminate some things. You’ve probably already figured it out. You should post your findings.