Sander purchase

Texfire

I need a sander for my current project, with an eye towards being compatible with larger projects in the future. All i have right now is a cordless Ryobi delta sander.

I'm leaning towards getting a Festool RO 90 DX. I know the pitfalls of getting a Swiss army knife solution, but I like the idea of getting a random orbital and delta sander at a cheaper price than buying one of each. I like the RO 150, the neutral balance that the demo model had was nice, but it's substantially more expensive and doesn't allow me to do edge work like the DX. So I'd probably pick that up as a second sander when I have a need for it.

Anything that I'm missing that's going to make me regret not going with the 150 and a dedicated delta sander instead?

I see two major down falls with your plan tex. First being that the sanding pad for the RO 90 is only about three inches in diameter, so if you are going to have to sand a large project or cabinet side it is going to take forever with a small sander like the RO 90. The second major problem is in my experience once you start in the world of festool you will never be able to stop, they are extremely addictive. Do you have a Festool CT vac? I have the RO150 and for leveling joints or sanding large surfaces it is fantastic. But for smaller furniture pieces and things I like my ETS 125 due to its compact size and reduced weight. But back to your question, if I was to start over and only get one I would still get the RO 150 you said you had a Ryobi detailed sander which will take care of your detail work until you have the spare funds to pick up a dedicated detail sander and the RO 150 can do the fine sanding work of the ETS 125 but just in a larger size. I hope this helps you out and makes your dilemma a bit easier.

Yes I do have a CT36, got it as a package with my TS55. I appreciate the feedback but there's one small problem. I had to decide in a short time period and picked up the RO 90 DX today so I could get my bandsawn box that I'm feeling the time crunch on ready to finish. :unsure:

Ultimately the adaptability of 90 and the lower price, in comparison to the 150, along with a size and capability matched to the smaller projects I'm doing right now decided me. The 3.5" media and the delta pad made more sense than the 150, which would have been overkill and left me limping along with the Ryobi and more hand sanding. After using it today, I can tell you there is absolutely no comparison between the Festool RO 90 and my $40 Ryobi delta, not that I expected much. The 90, used in conjunction with my Jet spindle sander for curved surfaces, made short work of the sanding duties on my box. I'm very satisfied with it. The aggressive mode surprised me with what a handful the sander became, I got quick removal of the bandsaw blade marks with 120 grit, then turned it to finish mode with the same grit and the scratches disappeared. Then I put on the delta pad and was able to reach into a crevice that the spindle sander couldn't reach, as well as a few marks left on the rounded edge.

I'm sure that when I start refinishing my dining room table I'll probably want to pick up the RO 150, but I think I made the right choice for now. Sorry for wasting your time, I do appreciate the feedback and for what it's worth, I agree that the 90 would not be ideal for large projects, but that's okay for now. And yes, the finish and functionality of Festools are addictive. This is bar none, the best sander I've ever used, light years ahead of the old 1/4 sheet PC orbital sanders I used back in college.