Cleaning Paint Out of HLVP Gun

nstein78

I had my first experience spraying General Finishes Milk Paint yesterday with my Earlex 5000 and am having a heck of a time getting all of the paint out of the inner workings of the gun. I rinsed it with water but there is still a considerable amount of paint caked in the spray nozzle and in the tube connecting the pot to the nozzle. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to clean this out without damaging the gun itself? Thanks.

I can't tell from your posting if you ran water through the gun or just took it apart to rinse. Usually much easier and efficient to load the cup with water and spray the whole cup out. I don't have an Earlex, but it works well on mine. Adjust the fluid control so you have vast amounts of water coming out carrying out the crud.

Besides shooting a quart of water, you'll want to do what mhadler suggested and use the cleaning kit to clean the little nozzle holes.

Hopefully you haven't let it get dry since your posting. If the paint is drying, keep it wet; soak the gun or bag it. Call General Finishes and ask what an appropriate solvent to remove it will be. As long as the gun is soaking or in an air-tight bag, the paint shouldn't be setting up nearly as quickly.