What's best way to dry and cut mesquite?

wjbelknap

I've been given the bole of a 9" diameter mesquite tree. Should I just paint the ends, or should I do that and cut it in two lengthwise to dry? I live in Boulder City, NV , e.g. hot and very dry ( would you believe 4% RH somtimes?). I'd like to use it to cut ~ 1/8" thick flitches for veneering. I've already found out with some smaller pieces that it is tough to get consistent flitches. I watched one three inch diameter branch yield several inches of straight cut, a bow to the left for a few inches and a bow to the right for a few more as I attempted to cut a straight line through a curve in the branch and a major knot.

I watched one three inch diameter branch yield several inches of straight cut, a bow to the left for a few inches and a bow to the right for a few more as I attempted to cut a straight line through a curve in the branch and a major knot.

This is theory, not personal experience, but ... I think a branch will always be reaction wood, meaning it will move when you cut it. It grew resisting the pull of gravity to one side, so one side is pushing and the other is pulling. You separate them and interesting things happen.

Thanks for the comments, folks. These branches definitely have reaction wood, although the mesquite seems to be remarkably stable (at least over the few months I've been playing with it). I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used it, especially milling from logs.

Thanks again.

Edited by BioBill

Okay, I was going to joke about the only way I knew of to work with mesquite was to smoke it on the grill, preferably with a nice steak.

But, after reading a few entries on WoodWeb about mesquite, it appears that slow roasting is actually something that is recommended, to kill bugs. (Although there's no side benefit of the steak in their versions.)

Here was the first one I started reading.