The Mystery of Antique White

holyspidoo

Gabeloooooo,

It doesn't look as though many have had much experience with antique white for cabinets.

I will take a shot but remember this, I have not tried this or know anyone that has, so this is just me thinking and sharing my thoughts with you.

I have a project in mind that I want to do in my dining room. I want to build some built-in cabinets, about 12' long and from the floor to the ceiling, for more storage space. I want the antique white look on my cabinets too. I was thinking about using milk paint. I have not had any experience with milk paint but from what I have been finding out is that it has that dull, washed out kind of antique look of old pieces. I think that a topcoat over the paint will give it some protection. Kitchen cabinets get alot of abuse.

This is just an idea and you would probably have to research the web and ask around to see who has used milk paint and IF it would even be a good option for what you want to do.

Anyway... for what it's worth.

Brett

Greetings!

I love the antique white look for kitchen cabinet doors... Any success stories with wood/finishes combination recommendations (both on the avoid/get side)?

I forgot to add that I was going to make my faceframes and doors out of poplar.

I also liiked in this finishing book that I just got from the library about milk paint. It is a really small section on it but it says that it can be coated with linseed oil to bring out the color of the paint and give it a satin gloss. It also says that the linseed oil can be substituted with a "modern oil finish". I am not sure what exactly that means but the book says that it can be done.

Book "The wood finisher's handbook" by Sam Allen

Greetings!

I love the antique white look for kitchen cabinet doors... Any success stories with wood/finishes combination recommendations (both on the avoid/get side)?

I might try here if you wanted the authentic finish:

http://www.milkpaint...out_art-fw.html

Similary, I might play with glazing; finish with lacquer or poly, let it dry, glaze with a white glaze and wipe it off until it looks "right", let it dry, then finish again with lacquer or poly.

Test some things out and report back? :-)

I have never done it myself, but I saw results once in a neighbors new house.

They painted the center kitchen island black, fire engine red, black again and finally a white cream color. between coats the various layers were sanded and scuffed to reveal lower layers. In the end, it looked really really good, but the process must have been intense.