New bandsaw (powermatic)

dwacker

My shop recently burned to the ground and Im now looking to make a bandsaw decision. Being anal I'd like to stick with all Powermatic. The newer 18" sure looks like a nice saw with some updated features. The 24 seems to be a bit dated and im stuck with single phase. So I guess my question is, size aside is there any reason to get the 3hp 24" over the 5hp 18". Im sure Ill never need to resaw anything 24 wide. I think the turning blocks are my only real need for any real size.

Thank you

Don

Don. Let me start by saying I do not own a bandsaw of any brand :wacko: . What I can tell you though, is through my experience with machinery, the more power you have available, the easier the motor finds it to move the cutter, bandsaw or whatever. If you don't need anything larger than 18 inches and if you have the power to run 5 horse which roughly converted is 3,750 watts AND run a dust extraction system, then it would seem like a no brainer to me. Hope this is of some use to you.

I'd also go with more HP than cutting width. It looks like the resaw capacity on the 24" is 14" and on the 18" it is 18". More power, more resaw capacity with the 18"er.

Thank you I did not notice the resaw capacity. Its looking like the 18" is going to be the better choice. My head is reeling trying to get my shop replaced after 25 years of collecting tools and it all being gone in a matter of minutes.

Thank you

Don