Paulownia Wood Question?

sapele steve

I just purchased a Guitar kit & the body is made out of Paulownia wood. I did some research on the wood & it is a hard wood which is apparently good for making musical instruments. My question is does anyone know how to finish this type of wood? The standard for Guitar finishes is obviously Laquer but I'm not sure how this would look on this wood. Any info would be appreciated....Thanks, Steve

Steve, I have used Paulownia or Kiri in making a Tansu box and a small Stickley Tabouret table. It is great to work with. While very light, it is also quite strong which is why is was primary for Tansu for Japanese merchants who carried all their wares from town to town. It is an open pored wood so you will most likely need to fill those pores for a guitar finish. I did lacquer my Tansu and it did really well and it worked just like any other hardwood. I was not able to get a high gloss, smooth finish like a guitar but I wasn't going for that. Pore filling would definitely be a must.