Dust collection expert

dwacker

I paid to get some real life info. The tech came out and showed me first hand that the 8" is going to provide more cfm to the tool provided that the tool has an 8" opening. That being said after laying out a few test pipes it was easy to see that the real limiting factor is port size. It boils down to the fact that for my shop the best is going to be 8" dropped down to the port size with no more that 2' of flex hose per port. Even at that the Griz is not going to provide the optimum CFM and in order to get that sort of flow I would have to step up to a 7,5 hp machine. Since that isnt going to happen it will be just what it will be. On a side note Vita the square and or rectangle duct according to the tech totally destroys any chance of getting the capabilities of the machine and further limits the flow. Why I dont truely understand but he showed me with a piece of 10' square hvac duct and the cfm fell on its face.

Don

My conclusion was port size is the limiting factor, which is why I decided on zones rather than on one 4" to a tool - no matter what size the main line duct is. One 4" or 6" is not enough from what I can tell. I am still shooting for four 4" ports per tool - for each zone. My goal was to think outside of the box on my system and see if i could beat what I have seen so far - will see.

How did he you show you that square was not as effective as round? Be aware that (mathematically)a 8" square is not the equivalent of an 8" circle in terms of square inches - they are not the same and the performance will different. You have to compare a rectangle that exactly matches the square inches of the circle.

I'm setting up shop in my new house and just picked up the air quality meter Bill recommends from http://dylosproducts.com/ . At $200 it seemed like a good deal for being able to measure how effective my system is at fine dust collection instead of guessing.

-Erik

I hope you report back, that is interesting. Do you think you will also need a meter to measure CFM also?

How did he you show you that square was not as effective as round? Be aware that (mathematically)a 8" square is not the equivalent of an 8" circle in terms of square inches - they are not the same and the performance will different. You have to compare a rectangle that exactly matches the square inches of the circle.

He used a probe connected to a electronics gizmo connected to a laptop PC. He set up different test pipes and the computer did the calculations, a pretty neat deal if its accurate.

Don