SealCoat w/Pre Cat Laquer

hudsonoffice

I'm just about to finish a Murphy Bed I completed and it is made of Birch and the wife wants to put a stain on it. So I am going to use a Zinner SealCoat thinned to keep from blotching then stain. The question is I prefer to spray on Pre cat Laquer for the top coat, but will I have any adhering issues with the SealCoat and what would be a altternative if I don't go with Laquer?

Hey Hudson. I know if you read the instructions on most of the pre-cat stuff, they say you should always put it over their specific sealer. Well, I worked in a refinishing shop that enjoyed breaking rules and taking shortcuts whenever possible. We constantly sprayed pre-cat lacquer over shellac sealer coats and oil-based stains with absolutely no detrimental effects. Adhesion was good and the finishes were perfect. So judging from that experience, I think you'll be fine.

Hey Hudson. I know if you read the instructions on most of the pre-cat stuff, they say you should always put it over their specific sealer. Well, I worked in a refinishing shop that enjoyed breaking rules and taking shortcuts whenever possible. We constantly sprayed pre-cat lacquer over shellac sealer coats and oil-based stains with absolutely no detrimental effects. Adhesion was good and the finishes were perfect. So judging from that experience, I think you'll be fine.

I've used shellac under pre cat for years whenever I need to seal knots or something that might tend to bleed through the top coat. Pigmented shellac works well under pinmented pre cat also.