Powder Post Beetle Extermination, Boracare???

ThisGirlBuildsIt

Hello!

I am looking into treating some beautiful lumber that I got from my Grandfather's old barn, that is infested with powder post beetles. I'm looking to use this lumber for making furniture, cabinetry, a coffee table and maybe even for turning some bowls. I have been told that Boracare is the way to go. (If anyone knows any other better solutions please let me know!)

If I were to use Boracare, what will the outcome be?

Does it have any effect on the appearance of the lumber, post-treatment? Staining/discoloration?

Does it leave a residue? Can this residue be planed off?

Will the chemical seep out or become crystallized on the exterior of the treated wood at any point down the line?

Will the lumber then be hazardous to use in certain applications? ie- future contact with food? -Turned bowls?

(-Will sealing the wood post treatment and construction seal up the contact issue??)

Please share your experience, the application and the outcome!! I've done alot of research but it doesn't tell me any personal outcomes! I need your help!!!

I would love any suggestions about alternative methods if Boracare is not the best for the things I want to use this lumber for.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to your responses!

:)

-Kate

I have been researching the same problem. I some mesquite which is notorious for powder post beetle infestations. There is a lot of information on this topic at the Wood Web site www.woodweb.com

If you search the Knowledge Base section you will find numerous discussions about the use of borates and other methods. It sounds like the best method involves sterilizing the wood by heating it to 130 - 140 degrees F for 8 to 10 hours. The borate and other insecticides don't penetrate deep enough into the wood to kill the eggs. This is based on what I have read on this site. I haven't tried any of the procedures yet, but will probably take my wood to a kiln operator and try that method.

Good luck

Doug