Grinder questions

mlehikoinen

So, Canadian tire had a pretty big flyer go out today. Looking at it, there was an 8" bench grinder on it that I couldn't say no to. Regular $80.00 picked up for $56. With a 4.8 amp motor @ 3450 rpm.

Got it home and the course wheel has about an 1/8" wobble to it. The fine wheel seems to be perfectly true.

I fired it up and there seems to be almost no vibration. Doest that mean the wheel is in balance despite having the wobble? Is it something I should worry about?

What about wheel dressing. Thoughts on when/how often?

Finally, the tool rest is fixed at being perpendicular to the wheel face. No way to angle it. Might be a problem unless I can get an after market add on. Would like to hear feedback with anyone who had similar challenges.

Edit - Oh, the sale is on until next Thursday for those interested

Looks like a great deal.....but I think grinders, for sharpening at least, should be running at about half that speed.

Dressing can be done with a diamond dressing tool. Usually done when the stone starts to become glazed or embedded with metal.

I went for a Jet low speed grinder, with 80 and 120 grit Aluminum Oxide friable stones, and then upgraded the tool rest to a Wolverine tool rest set.

LQQK