Norway Maple

jab73180

Hard to say. Wiki says that it's "hard" and used for furniture, but it's impossible to know what the author's definition of "hard" is. I couldn't find its ranking on the Janka scale anywhere. It's gotta be good enough for secondary wood, at least. I'd take it if it's available to you for free.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg1200155110578.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lauvtrebruk.no%2Fpages%2F15

In Norwegian maple is translated to "lønn" which translates to english "salary". So in the table for "Salary" you will find some numbers in a metric format.

Hope that helps.

I have no exact data about norway maple but it should be similar to sycamore maple somewhat slightly softer (being faster growing).

In europe we have three main maple species: acer pseudoplatanus (sycamore maple), acer platanoides (norway maple) and acer campestre (field maple).

Sycamore is widely used for timber with a hardness slightly lower than hard maple, norway maple is usually mixed with sycamore being very similar and field maple is a very small tree used for the best musical instruments (harder than hard maple) but useless for timber due to small size.

P.S. The english name is norway maple but it's not so common in norway

I have no exact data about norway maple but it should be similar to sycamore maple somewhat slightly softer (being faster growing).

In europe we have three main maple species: acer pseudoplatanus (sycamore maple), acer platanoides (norway maple) and acer campestre (field maple).

Sycamore is widely used for timber with a hardness slightly lower than hard maple, norway maple is usually mixed with sycamore being very similar and field maple is a very small tree used for the best musical instruments (harder than hard maple) but useless for timber due to small size.

P.S. The english name is norway maple but it's not so common in norway

thank you sir, i guess that answers my question. i have a 30" log about 12' long to saw up. i will saw out enough big timber to make a nice sized workbench (roubo maybe) and the rest will be boards.