Baby safe paint for crib

verteramofurniture

Hey Guys.

I've been planning on making a baby crib and wanted your input on the finish. I want to paint it white. In the past I've liked to use generals finish milk painted topped with some coats of pre-cat waterborne laquer.

Is there a paint that is more safe for baby furniture than others?

Is laquer once it is dry safe for a baby to chew on? I've heard that once it flashes off and is dry most finishes are safe.

I've noticed in the spec sheet for the generals milk paint there is some titanium dioxide and aluminum silicate in it. I've read about the metal dryers are not good to have in the finish. Should I try the powder milk paint instead?

Thanks in advance.

Marcus

The titanium dioxide and aluminum silicate, I believe are whitening agents in paint and pigmented clear coats. The titanium is also used in toothpaste and skim milk. Not sure on the aluminum if used in consumed items, but also helps with the whitening. Don't hold me to it though.

For sure, this would be a good email to send off to general finishes. They should address any worries you may have about any of their products.