Dark Stain on Maple

JookyDfw

Hello all. I am having trouble staining some maple cabinets I had made. I would like to stain them a dark coffee bean type color (like some if the prefab cabinets) but the stain is not taking after three coats (minwax plus a pre-coat of conditioner). I realize that, since I was going to stain the cabinets dark, there was no point in using maple but now I'm stuck with what I have. Does anyone know of stain or paint that I can use to get the dark color I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Roland

Ronald,

When we stain we always use a Sherwin Williams BAC wiping stain which is a lacquer based stain. For maple we spray on the stain and wipe it off leaving as much stain as possible then go back and mist everything with the same stain and just let it sit, some people call this process toning. that is how we do it. Another option for you would be to seal the stain with a wax free shellac then go over the entire project with a gel stain. That should give you a nice even dark color. also check out this video that don (dwacker) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cC1cHxUf8kc. it is a really good video on toning using dyes. Hope this helps.