new kid on the block

rodger.

Fuji has a new sprayer on the market. I don't have an HVLP, and have been considering getting a "mini-mite 3". The "Semi-Pro 2" is more affordable, but is a 2 stage unit.

I don't really know a lot about HVLP sprayers. I've read the specs, but they don't hold a lot of meaning for me.

Does this one look like a high quality unit? I would use it to spray mostly water based poly. Not sure if a "2 stage" unit is lower quality that a 3 or 4 stage unit.

http://www.fujispray.com/hvlp_systems.html

I've had a Mini-Mite 4 since 2004. I also have one of those $89 rigs, sold by Harbor Freight, Rockler, Woodcraft...

Personally, I wouldn't go with less than a 3 stage machine for woodworking,as I believe good quality water based products are the way to go now, and we may not have a choice in the future. At least for spraying...

The cheap rig I have will actually spray lacquer and oil varnish pretty well. IF you thin it enough, nearly to the viscosity of what comes from spray bombs. Water based products are difficult to thin, many cannot be thinned much at all. For best results, they need to be sprayed directly from the can, in full, wet, well-atomized coats. In fact, it took me a while to get used to spraying the stuff, as a good coat looks far different than a solvent product when wet. Each coat has got to be right the first time,as water base cannot be "flowcoated" like solvent lacquer, and they are difficult to remove if applied too heaviliy. To me, that alone makes the 3+ stage units worthwhile.

If you're lucky enough to be able to safely spray solvent based finishes, being able to properly atomize a thicker product allows fewer coats, and often better results on vertical surfaces.

I still use the cheap one to spray stains, dyes, outdoor oils, and other very thin liquids.

If you decide to go with Fuji, I highly recommend Phelps Refinishing as a dealer. You can call Roger, he's super knowledgeable. He's not exactly a web designer, but he's a fantastic resource for HVLP. His email assistance cut major time from my transition from solvent to water.

BTW... if you decide to use any of the good water based products, from ML Campbell, Target, Fuhr, etc... The first time you spray test boards, your immediate feeling will be "I've ruined the boards!" :( Come back in 20-30 minutes.... They'll probably look GREAT. The coalescing <sp?> process really looks gross as it works.

Also take a look at supply and demand in your area. Alot of folks have good intensions to spray waterbornes but cant get them. Around here we no options for any good waterborne finishes. If you go into Sherwin Williams they look at you like your on crack if you ask for a waterborne. One place can order Target but by the time it comes in the price per gallon is way to high. IMO CIC Acrylic is the best waterborne available and sprays much like a solvent precat lacquer but by the time I ship up from CA its $60 a gallon. Woodcraft and rockler both have some finishes but the price is not a price that you would want to spray.

Don

• Like 1

Also take a look at supply and demand in your area. Alot of folks have good intensions to spray waterbornes but cant get them. Around here we no options for any good waterborne finishes. If you go into Sherwin Williams they look at you like your on crack if you ask for a waterborne.

Excellent point!

In my case, I buy ML Campbell products from a local Pratt & Lambert paint store. Apparently, at least in my area, they share the same distributor.

There is no indication at all the store sells this stuff... no MLC sign, no product on the retail floor... How did I find them? Get this... ~ 2004, "Woodshop News" did an article about a local finishing shop who's owner was retiring. In the photos, there were MLC cans in the background. At the time, I needed a 5'er of nitrocellulose for a large project, and I didn't want to pay Woodcraft's proce for H. Behlen. I called the WSN article's subject shop, introduced myself, and asked where they buy finishing products. At some point in 2005, I asked them about getting me some WB, and the rest is history...

Since stuff like that doesn't happen often, I'd suggest manufacturer's web sites.

My local SW stores aren't as confused as Don's when it comes to WB, but they're nowhere near as good as the family owned P&L store. Right now, I'm paying ~ $35/gal for Ultrastar. I'm not a wholesale customer, but they do cut me a break for being a dependable regular.