New to the Guild and a Bell Forest Question

Shannon1066

Hi, my name is Shannon and I am very excited to be a guild member. I've been obsessed with Marc (and his teachings :wub: ) and I have been trying to dabble in woodworking without a table saw. I just received my new SawStop and I'm ready to tackle the Guild. Bell Forest puts together a wood kit for the Guild projects all milled up. This sounds wonderful since I do not have a planer or jointer yet. My question is, can anyone tell me their experience with this lumber? In particular, I'm wondering if the milling Bell Forest does is sufficient and I would not need to re-mill the wood. I understand the wood can move when changing climates or even when cut. Will I be able to complete these projects well, without a planer or jointer, if I purchase the milled lumber from Bell Forest?

Shannon

Welcome to the crazy house Shannon. :) I have received several Bell Forest kits for the builds and they are always in great condition. If the kit is sold as pre-surfaced then it should arrive ready to cut to length and width. No planing required. That said, we know that wood moving from one location to another over the course of a couple days could very well result in movement. So that's always a risk you run and it's something you have to consider. If anything goes nuts once it gets to your shop, Bell is pretty good about taking care of you too. They won't leave you high and dry.

• 2 weeks later...

Shannon,

I've bought a bunch of lumber from Bell, they are great guys, always willing to discuss things, price special orders, basically whatever you need.

Give them a call or drop them an email, highly recommended

tony