Finish for Quarter Sawn Red Oak

FatOldOwl

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, I've been lurking around LumberJocks for the past several months and decided to branch out. I figue if the peope here are even as half as helpful as Marc has been, this should be a great place to learn!

I recently found some quarter sawn red oak at a Home Depot in Barstow, CA. I'm making some wine cork displays for severel coworkers and I'm looking for suggestions on how to finish them. I've got about 10 sample pieces in different stages of finishing and I'm not real happy with any of them. None of them seem to show off the rays as much as I hoped, it seems I can only really see the rays at certain angles. Is this common in quarter sawn oak?

Currently, I've tried natural, medium walnut, and fruit wood danish oil. All sanded on the first coat with 320 wet/dry sandpaper. I've also tried BLO, both heated and room temp, as well as gel stain sanded back to the wood. I tried to fume a few pieces with supermarket ammonia but I got no reults even after 24 hours, I'm thinking my container wasn't air tight. So far the only finish that looks good is the fruit wood danish oil, but like I said, it doesn't show off the rays as much as I hoped.

Anyone out there have any suggestion? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

David

Guest Mahoganus

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, I've been lurking around LumberJocks for the past several months and decided to branch out. I figue if the peope here are even as half as helpful as Marc has been, this should be a great place to learn!

I recently found some quarter sawn red oak at a Home Depot in Barstow, CA. I'm making some wine cork displays for severel coworkers and I'm looking for suggestions on how to finish them. I've got about 10 sample pieces in different stages of finishing and I'm not real happy with any of them. None of them seem to show off the rays as much as I hoped, it seems I can only really see the rays at certain angles. Is this common in quarter sawn oak?

Currently, I've tried natural, medium walnut, and fruit wood danish oil. All sanded on the first coat with 320 wet/dry sandpaper. I've also tried BLO, both heated and room temp, as well as gel stain sanded back to the wood. I tried to fume a few pieces with supermarket ammonia but I got no reults even after 24 hours, I'm thinking my container wasn't air tight. So far the only finish that looks good is the fruit wood danish oil, but like I said, it doesn't show off the rays as much as I hoped.

Anyone out there have any suggestion? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

David

Take a look at these, would that be anything close to the finish your looking for?

Guest Mahoganus

Mahoganus

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, the rays/flecks are so much easier to see. I've been wondering if it's because I've got QS red oak as opposed to white oak. What finish did you use for those, that is a beautiful color. Thanks.

David

First apply Minwax® Wood Finish™ Provincial 211

Second http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pdf/products/sherwood_intstain.pdf I used the T70 F 22 Top Coat

Real easy to apply