Warped birch plywood

Emil_Blad

Hello,

I just bought a bunch of birch plywood for some workshop cabinets in the garage.

I put them up against the wall for better storage but now they have become warped.

What should I do?

The warping will not have a great impact when I cut them down to be used in my cabinets but how should you store plywood?

Horisontaly or verticly?

Regards Emil from snowy Sweden

What is the country of origin of your plywood? If it's Chinese garbage, it doesn't really matter how you store it...it's gonna warp, and there's no making it flat again. My advice would be to return it if you can, and buy the best plywood you can afford. Do you have Baltic birch in your neck of the woods?

I've built shop projects with the cheap stuff in the past. It's not fun.

Hi Emil,

Yep - this will often happen when you lean wood up against a wall (plywood or solid). Sounds stupid, but sometimes the fix can be as simple as flipping the board around and leaning it up against the wall for a few days in the other direction (ie. it bent in toward the wall making a concave side pointing outward, so this time, point the concave side inward).

As for storing it properly in the first place, vertically is good in theory as long as it is truly vertical. However, this is often very hard to do (you often can't get it truly vertical, so it bends as you describe. If you try to get it truly vertical, it is likely to fall over and hurt you....)

So, horizontal is often a more practical way to go. Just make sure you store it on a flat surface (or if you put it on a rack, make sure there are braces along its entire length), or again, it will bend.

- EG

No I lifted it up så the sheets where standing on studs I had laying around. I have floor heating in the garage and it is epoxy painted.

I have now put the sheets horizontaly on studs and tomorrow I will start cuting them up for the cabinets. Can't wait to put the new Festool TS55 to use =)

Marc has a video early in his series where he describes his plywood storage system... It involved (it has since evolved) a home-made rack of material similar to 2x4 construction grade lumber with a series of veneer presses, which will compress everything against the assembled framework. For a smaller lot of plywood (storing a couple sheets only), I'd consider this option if you need to store the plywood for a period of time not to exceed a month or two.

The best option I've heard is the short-term option dwacker recommends.