Going Neanderthal

tdh36185

So I have been a hybrid type woodworker, but am starting to really appreciate the hand tool methods more and more. I have a frame saw from bad axe on the way, as well as a Stanley 150 miter box saw. I have kits on hand for a shoulder plane (hock) as well as a few blade assemblies, carcass saw kit and sash saw kit from bontz tool works and recently discovered tgiag.com. I will be struggling to deviate from my festool equipment (rotex sander, of 1400 router, ts 75 track saw, older style jigsaw, domino, and Csx drill, as well as ct 26 and mft). Every time I buy a festool product and use it there is a moment of enlightenment, similar to a well sharpened hand plane. So the burning questions.... Do I need a dust collector? I plan on going more hand tool route, aside from milling if my machines can handle it (6" jointer (general international?, the plate fell off) Dewalt 13 inch planer. Currently without a functioning table saw, or jointer, but should be remedied shortly. Can one get by without a tablesaw and bandsaw? If so other than rip and crosscut (26"), veritas dovetail saw, what other saws should I be looking for, other than previously mentioned kits/ saws? I am thinking the knew concepts fret saw should round me off for a while. I am also in the process of a bench build as well as I have no great work holding options. My vacation time and Jameson and making me ramble, thoughts and tips are appreciated.

Sounds mostly like questions only you can answer.  It really depends on how much you intend on relying on power tools in the future.

Based off your list of really good power tools, I would think the dust collection would be a wise choice.

• 2 weeks later...

My shop doesn't have space for a table saw or band saw.  So I do without.  While the cabinetry hasn't looked exceptionally pretty so far, it has been functional, which is what I wanted of it.  I've got a couple of projects that are mid-stream that I used a jig saw because it was faster rather than the coping saw or bow saw I wanted (which are either out of reach in the back of the shop or out of the budget).

As for dust collection: most of the hand tool work I've done has been outdoors.  The breezes do a great job of whipping the fine stuff away (what little there is), and a broom and dust pan will take care of the larger stuff.  Since I don't have a dust pan, the bits and pieces have done their best to imitate mulch... which lasts until the landscapers come by with their armada of power noise makers and grass blade destructors.  (I don't mind them, really.  There are days I'd rather be using those tools than the ones I have.  Then I remember my summers doing landscaping, and am glad I have the landlord paying for the service.)

Sounds like you've already got a plan... don't let the Jameson push it out of reach.  ONly thing I'd add to the mix is a dedicated dust collector just for the planer and jointer: something like the Oneida Deputy paired with the Festool DC may be all you'd need.  (I'm hoping, anyway, as that's my plan for this summer.)