Smoothing Plane tracks

Doomwolf

Hi all. I was working on smoothing the wood on a chair I made, but my LV #4 1/2 has been leaving tracks in the wood (see pics). The blade is wider than the piece of wood being planned, so would this be an issue with a nick in the blade (I checked and can't see one), or would it be the faint scratch I appear* to have in the sole.

*only realized it was there when reviewing these pics, the camera caught the light just right to highlight it.

post-14656-0-41015400-1413001114_thumb.j

post-14656-0-92700400-1413001122_thumb.j

Debris, agreed.  It scratched the sole of your plane, too.  Take it apart, thorough cleaning, and give the blade a hone.  Make sure your stock is clean before you plane...and don't set it on your garage floor. :)  I made that mistake with my jointer during the Roubo build...and I'm reminded constantly. <_<

I'm planning poplar, which I know is not exactly super hard. I bought the plane second-hand of Kijiji ($150!), so the scratch might have been there previously; like I said, I didn't realize it was there until I posted the photo, it's not nearly as visible in real life. 

Next time around I will make a couple of practice passes on some scrap, being careful to keep debris and such away, and see if that improves matters.

I planed over a brad once, and it did exactly that to my plane. 

Resharpen the plane iron to remove the nick, then lightly rub the plane sole on 400 grit sandpaper, on a flat surface, like your table saw wing or jointer bed, to remove any raised steel.    You're not trying to remove the scratch from the plane sole, just remove any metal that was plowed proud from the furrow when the damage occurred.