Festool "tools"

Doug Boland

So owning no routers, I had thought about just getting the OF2200 because of the whole "buy once" concept...but the 850 seems kind of excessive especially starting out.   I was looking at like DW 618 kit (2-1/4 HP) as a handheld and pick up something like a PC7518 later to dedicate to a table.  Is the FT one really worth it?   I had been thinking no but this thread has been changing my mind.

I definitely would NOT recommmend the OF 2200 as a first router or an only router. It's great when you need a big router with lots of power but it's 'way too heavy for all-around use. I was responding to a post that asked if it was worth the $850 price tag, IMO it is, but it's definitely not something you take out to run a 1/4" roundover bit on a chest lid!

Don't have any experience with the DW 618 but it gets good reviews and would make a good general-purpose tool since the kit comes with both a plunge and fixed base. The Bosch MRC23 kit would be another good choice for an all-around router.

The PC 7518 is the go-to motor for table use either with a lift or just by bolting the base to the table top. Ditto for the Milwaukee 5625. Both are big motors with a lot of armature mass, ideal for table use.

HTH,

Bill

I disagree with avoiding the OF2200 as a first router.

Please don't take offense, but in my opinion it is a GREAT first router. I have no trouble recommending it as your first. Several reasons.

1 - Unless you are putting it in a table, it is unmatched for dust collection. I feel good dust collection habits should be learned the day you start woodworking if not sooner. We woodworkers have few health risks (other than the obvious cutting off a finger) but dust inhalation is a REAL risk.

2 - It is so precise and accurate you will never have to wonder "Did I cut that right or did my router wander?" It eliminates those issues. If you make a mistake with it... then you know you made a mistake.

3 - If you end up not liking woodworking or want to get out of the hobby/career/what-ever you can always sell it for nearly what you paid for it and you are not out much. Ebay and Craigslist are crowded with routers with no resale value. If you stick a OF2200 out there, you'll sell it in a heartbeat.

Having said all of that, I'd recommend picking up a palm router or a trim router to go with it. You can get a new Dewalt or Bosch for like 100 bucks. You can grab one off ebay for about 60.

First I want to say thank you all very much for your opinions, I really do mean it thanks so much. I have been on other forums and asked questions and wouldn't even get a reply.

Although I have built furniture (for myself or wife I should say) I tend to do mostly small projects to sell.

I may very well just have a little Festool envy but sanding is where I seem to make the most dust. I have to be carefully about bronchitis and dust can bring it on quickly. I like the job my Porter Cable radium orbit sander does. Even with the little dust bag does pretty good. I can connect my shop vac to it and helps but it's noisy and shop vac still lets the fine dust out so I have to where a respirator. So I'm most interested in the Festool dust extractor.

I do a lot of work with a hand router as well as my home made cnc router and need to get a good hand router so the info on Festool routers was helpful

I plan on going to the woodworking show in Kansas City in February and try and get some hands on at the Festool booth.

Ok thanks again guys, sorry to be long winded.

GO ROYALS!

Doug