Stanley no. 81 scraper

lighthearted

I bought a Stanley no. 81 scraper a while back and I am just now taking it out to clean it up and give it a try.

I certainly needs a sharpening, which I'm working on now. The blade is cambered for sure, but not evenly.   

The rosewood base is curved.  I  assume this is from years of use, but after taking it apart I now wonder.

So my question is:  the wood base should be flat like any other plane correct?

thanks!!

The 81 had a wooden sole used for doing final passes on flat surfaces. are you talking about a camber from front to back or side to side. both would be due to wear or the owners change. It was originally flat in both directions.

If it is a #80 then the wooden sole was something a previous owner installed (my guess).

My veritas cabinet scraper it flat soled and I keep the iron straight. The curve is introduced to the plane from a set screw in the back. Sort of like your thumbs bend the blade of a card scrapper. I'd tend to agree with Schaffer and say it was modified at some point for who knows what.

You might have a bigger restoration on your hands now is all.

Marcel---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The Stanley 81 was a final scraper, usually reserved for fine work with veneers or delicate surfaces, hence the wooden sole.

The intention is to have the sole dead flat and the blade honed to match; that way it is capable of providing a top-quality surface on exotic woods with a wild grain pattern that cannot be planed or flattened any other way.

You'll need to make a new sole using the existing sole as a pattern - don't loose the four machine screws; the ends are deliberatly flat so that they don't gouge the surface of the work if the wooden sole wears through. Make a couple while you're at it because they were intended to be replaced when worn.

there's a bit of background here, about 3/4 way down the page:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm

Good luck