Recording Studio Desk - Wood Movement?

wcompton

Hello everyone!

Below are a few images of a recording studio composer's desk I am finalizing plans for. I've included a link to the Sketch Up files as well if anyone is interested in taking a look: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-iOOiEs6RDdWG9RRjRZc21VN2s?usp=sharing

My questions are as follows:

1.) If I use 6x6 post lumber from Home Depot for the legs and the aprons, mill the pieces down to size (4.25",4.25"), paint them, and attach as shown using 8" lag screws, will that design sufficiently allow for the expansion and contraction of the wood over time? I don't want any cracking. The desk will only be used inside.

2.) The sliding table that the keyboard sits on will be constructed, according to my current plans, by attaching five 2x6s milled down to 1.25"x5", side by side using pocket hole screws and glue. Then a "cross beam" will be attached using 3" wood screws across the end grain of the table. These are the sides of the sliding table, the piece with the angle cut. The heavy duty drawer slides will be attached to the aprons from this piece. Will this construction method allow for sufficient wood movement? Again, I don't want any cracking and I definitely don't want the table to fail!

Thanks for your help! Any other observations and or constructive criticism is totally welcome. Cheers!

Will

Studio Tables Model 4 (4in).jpg

Corner Screws Dimensions.jpg

For the legs I would suggest gluing up the legs out of milled 2x6 lumber rather than cutting them out of 6x6 solid lumber. The 4x4 and 6x6 lumber at lumber yards almost always splits over time.

Unless you are using the lag bolts for decorative reasons I would also suggest looking into pocket screws to attach the legs and aprons together.

Good luck