Near Fitchburg, Mass. and a Turner? Need Wood?

davidrn

I noted a new ad on CL when I got home today, if you are in my area, (North Central Massachusetts/ South Central N.H.), then you need to give this family a call. The dad was a turner, and has between 300 to 400 bowl blanks. Many were already roughed out, I took only a dozen, but after I was given the tour, realized I had to pass this info along to fellow turners. There is too many to let a woodburning stove have any of these. Nice family, that appreciates a a turned bowl, and wants to ensure these go to craftsman, or in my case, a maker of sawdust and shavings.

here is the ad: My dad was an enthusiastic collector and wood worker / wood turner. He had a lot of seasoned wood for turning projects. He is no longer with us,

much of his project wood is. It would help us to know his wood was given to a fellow Craftsman. To the right person they are free. If you are one

or know one please call us at 978-343-7888 to arrange a time to pick them up and put them to use.

Please pass the word along, and, if you go, please let them know I sent you their way, I promised to post this as soon as I got home.

I am new to turning, don't know any of the clubs in my area.

I was remiss when I mentioned about the wood, if you are going to be in the North Central Mass area,to check out/ or pick up some wood, please send a note and I would enjoy having you visit my shop, and share a cup of coffee.

I counted what I took yesterday, there was 16 pieces, although I did take 3 roughed out bowls. I also forgot to mention they are selling his lathe. It was a General (IIRC), and being that I am not into turning enough to know what it was, I thought it was a metal lathe. The son also turns, but has his own supply and lathe, it didn't sound like he was taking anymore of the wood to his own shop. It had an adjustable speed handle on the front, and it looked heavy. I have an older Delta (Cabinet) Lathe, but this looks about 10 times heavier.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi try looking AAW web for local chapter near you, I know there is a chapter in central MA. You can try a meeting see if you like it. I be long to mass.south shore wood turners we meet the 4th Tuesday in Abington,MA let me know? I,m sure you will get all the wood you need after joining a club. My club's site is mssw.org

good luck turning

kevin