Search function

unisaw

Sorry to start with a bit@h but I tried to do a search for a box joint jig and got an error message that because one of my words was fewer than 3 letters that no results would be returned.

Seems rather arcane in today's world. I can undertand no results but I can never search for a jig here? hmmmm. C'mon Marc.

Yup, it's bad here for that. Other forums, though, are worse. Ning (TWW Forum 2.0) couldn't search for anything; I swear it was hooked up to a static HTML page that said "nothing found". Apparently the 12 year old who wrote that site didn't finish that part. I digress... One other bugs me because it will to search for words 3-letters or shorter OR words it deems "too common". Drives you nuts.

So, Google is your friend. Here's the search link you want. Click it to find the threads you want and also to see the search I used to make it specific to this forum.

You say "c'mon marc" as if I wrote the software, lol. I honestly didn't know it was set to such a small number of characters and you are the first person to bring it up. That's an easy enough fix.

Thanks. I'm new here but get your weekly video podcast and enjoy your work very much.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to try and find a related thread before bringing this up, but I may have a similar problem.

I tried searching "Box" in the project journals and it is returning no results.  I see at least two with "box" in the title on the main thread page.  Is this related?

I was just looking for some inspiration for a V-day gift, since I have some curly maple laying around, and stumbled onto this issue. 

If it is just a software limitation, no worries, I can flip through, but if its a setup oops, I thought I would let you know.

This forum is notorious for having a crappy search. I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often actually. I just implemented a new feature making Google Search the default, but you can still use the standard forum search if you like. It's not ideal since it does generate a popup with the search results, but Google does a pretty good job of indexing our forum. Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you. 

Yup, it's bad here for that. Other forums, though, are worse. Ning (TWW Forum 2.0) couldn't search for anything; I swear it was hooked up to a static HTML page that said "nothing found". Apparently the 12 year old who wrote that site didn't finish that part. I digress... One other bugs me because it will to search for words 3-letters or shorter OR words it deems "too common". Drives you nuts.

So, Google is your friend. Here's the search link you want. Click it to find the threads you want and also to see the search I used to make it specific to this forum.

There is so much "variability" in search engines among sites, that I pretty much always use a 3rd party search engine with the "site:sitename.com" for more consistent results. It also works with duckduckgo.com if you prefer not to have every search you perfomed tracked.