Frame and Panel Glue Up

rbterhune

Hello...I am new to these forums and new to woodworking. At some point, when funds are available, I will embark on my first project...a nightstand with frame and panel sides. The top and bottom rails are 5+" wide and here is my question. How much of the stub tenon should I glue to the stiles and if not 100% of the width, how much and where? Of course, my panel will not be glued...it will be 1/4" solid cherry.

Thanks,

Brad

Hello...I am new to these forums and new to woodworking. At some point, when funds are available, I will embark on my first project...a nightstand with frame and panel sides. The top and bottom rails are 5+" wide and here is my question. How much of the stub tenon should I glue to the stiles and if not 100% of the width, how much and where? Of course, my panel will not be glued...it will be 1/4" solid cherry.

Thanks,

Brad

Welcome Brad,

5 in. sounds pretty beefy for a night stand. How big are the stiles? Are you using true tenons or a cope and stick. I have glued up cope and stick panels that big and bigger without a problem. but if you are going a more traditional route you may want to go with about a 4in. tenon, but make it a haunched tenon and just glue up the big part. or just leave it loose and put a peg or two in it.

Good luck with the project

Dave

Fig-81-Tenon-Joint-with-Haunch.jpg

Well, the stiles are 3". Yes, it seems beefy, but it makes sense for the Stickley design. I had not planned on using a "traditional" tenon at all...only the stub tenon fitted to the groove...more of a cope and stick. What do you think of that?

Welcome Brad,

5 in. sounds pretty beefy for a night stand. How big are the stiles? Are you using true tenons or a cope and stick. I have glued up cope and stick panels that big and bigger without a problem. but if you are going a more traditional route you may want to go with about a 4in. tenon, but make it a haunched tenon and just glue up the big part. or just leave it loose and put a peg or two in it.

Good luck with the project

Dave

Fig-81-Tenon-Joint-with-Haunch.jpg