pre-finishing

Marco_d

Hello all, what would be the smartest way to proceed with the chest build for someone who doesnt have an hvlp system? would pre-staining and pre-finishing before assembly be the best or waiting until its all assembled? Will you be using the peart recipe of 7 parts orange and 4 parts med brown?

thanks

Hey Marco_d. I usually do my best to pre-finish if at all possible...especially with a project with a lot of nooks and crannies like the G&G Chest. I usually stop, however, at the 'color'. I'll typically wait for the 'seal' coat until the project is finished. Too may ways to damage it during assembly.

As far as color I've seen where Darrell Peart, in his latest book, notes that the materials he's used previously are not longer available and his recommendation is to use exactly what you've mentioned. I'm still undecided and may go with au-natural. But I'm using a weird wood too (Lyptus) so I can be a bit 'out there' with my finish. I did however buy a can of medium brown dye just in case.

Marc has an excellent video on pre-finishing in the one- and two-sheet bookcases project from last summer. Every time I have applied finish after project assembly (interior corners, especially) I always have a few tell-tale signs. This is my first piece of "real" furniture. I'm going to use it as a coffee table in the living room, so it will be on display - for good or bad! So I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning toward pre-finishing. 

Opinions welcome!

I'm planning on pre-finishing too - at least like Bluwoods says - stopping shy of the final coat, but definitely doing the 'color' part.  Or maybe I'll have to buy an HVLP system...  Thanks for the reminder about the pre-finishing video, allencrane, I'll refresh my memory on it when the time comes!