Getting to 5/4

allencrane

I was very fortunate to find a local supplier of some beautiful African mahogany, but they only had 4/4, no 5/4. I was able to mill very lightly on the base and only had to compromise about 1/16 in final thickness for each piece (for a total compromise of about 1/8 in each direction). So the base and cleats don't concern me, but here is what does...

I definitely want the breadboard ends to stand proud of the top. I have plenty of 4/4 that I could face joint and then plane down to thickness for this and it would match perfectly, but I'm concerned that the long tenons in the top (and the screws and tight fit of the ebony plugs along the sides) may want to split the breadboards along the thickness plane. Is my concern warranted? Should I hold off until I find some true 5/4? 

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions!

It sounds like you have been able to get a final thickness of 15/16" out of your 4/4 stock.  That's all the breadboards are supposed to be, so I say go for it.  The major seasonal movement will be across the width of the lid, and that's specifically what breadboards are designed to handle.  Though the wood will expand the same percentage for the thickness, even a large movement of 5% won't be huge for a 3/4" thick lid. Plus, the main lid body and the breadboards should get thicker at the same rate, especially if they come from the same batch of lumber.

• 4 weeks later...