Hand-chopped mortises

eaneal

I've found there's not much variation in how one uses a mortise chisel. I was actually commenting to someone at WIA that a mortising chisel is really one of those few hand tools that you really just whack away on. Where you see most of the differences in technique is in the means for hogging out the initial waste. Some folks use a drill press, some a router table, and some a plunge router. You can cut an entire mortise exclusively with a chisel, but it's far more work than it's worth (both in chopping and sharpening). There's no right or wrong answer, but whatever is most repeatable and accurate in your shop. That step, and not the chisel technique, is the most critical.

I did a demo on chopping by hand during my Queen Anne Table build this Spring. It is episode 86 on my site. I agree with Bois (you heard it here first) that there really is not much variation to the technique, I feel that marking out the joint is the most important part.

I'm actually speechless.